Dove Bank Primary School has long recognised the contribution of PE to the health and well-being of its children. We also acknowledge that a broad, balanced, high quality curriculum and extra-curricular activities have a positive impact on concentration, attitude and achievement.
Dove Bank Primary School is committed to ensure that all pupils receive a minimum of 2 hours of PE per week, delivered by well-trained and enthusiastic teacher.
Regular staff training opportunities are provided for teachers and TAs to keep them up to date with new initiatives.
The school participates enthusiastically in a range of local sports competitions and events against other schools in North West Leicestershire.
See the below report to view sporting provision via NWLSSP for the previous academic year as well as the results of the most recent PE and Sports Questionnaire undertaken with pupils and parents.
As part of our Sports Day, as well as organising a ‘House Team’ Carousel of activities, we also run competitive races for Key Stage 1 and 2.
House Competitions Week
We also run an annual House Competitions Week in June, to further promote competitive sport within our own school. This special week is an opportunity for pupils to compete in a range of sporting activities including football, Hi-5, Dodgeball and the Mini-Olympics, as well as some more unconventional activities such as Blindfold Penalty Shootout!
It enables them to value the importance of teamwork as well as individual effort.
We have achieved Sainsbury’s Silver Quality Mark for Sports Provision.
NWLSSP Sports Ambassadors
Tyler, Harrison, Amber and Lilly in Year 6 have been selected as Dove Bank School’s Sports Ambassadors. They are full of ideas of how to improve sport at Dove Bank and they will be helping the staff promote healthy lifestyles at school. We are very proud of them and the hard work they do around the school.
During the year our Sports Ambassadors will be involved in the following:
- leading an all day sports event
- development of sport across the school
- organising a charity sports event
- liaising with Adam our coach re: running sports clubs
- developing a space on the website, devising notices for the newsletter, assemblies …
Premier Sport, NWLSSP, Teachers and Support Staff provide a wide range of sports clubs, both for team and individual sports.
During the academic year 2016-17, we have run the following clubs:
Football Gymnastics Handball Multi-skills Wake and Shake Dodgeball Cheerleading
May Pole Dancing Athletics Tennis Archery Netball Fencing Ultimate Frisbee
The Government Sports Premium
The Government provides schools with a Sports Grant each year to spend specifically on improving the quality of sport and PE provision for all their children.
Click on the link below to see how we have used the funding at Dove Bank:
What has the impact been?
To ensure that its sports provision is as effective as it can be, Dove Bank subscribes to the North West Leicestershire Schools Sports Partnership (NWLSSP. This means that the school has access to the following:
• A qualified sports coach who is assigned to the school for the entire year to co-ordinate, manage and develop the PE curriculum
• Training for teachers and other staff
• Fun festivals/friendlies/School Games
• Breakfast, lunchtime and club support
• Half-day day support a week, year round term time supporting professional development alongside teachers and including one extra-curricular club provided per half term
• Training days for the school’s PE Manager (Primary Link Teacher)
• Resource bank supporting sporting activities
• Links with the community and local/county and regional organisations
• General advice re PE/school sport
• Increased ‘targeted’ work with sport and physical activity (Higher Ability, Inclusion, health, non-participants etc.)
• Equipment loan scheme
• Subsidised mini bus (for transporting pupils to multi-sport events)
Out of school events and competitions entered 2016-17
- Y5/6 Rugby Tournament
- Y3/4 Rugby Tournament
- Multi-sport Event
- Athletics Competition
- Y5/6 Dodgeball Competition
- Winter Festival Y1/2
- Orienteering Competition Y5/6
- Y3/4 Football Tournament
- Y5/6 Football Tournament
- Easter Sports Festival
- Netball tournament x 2
- Y3/4 Quad Kids