We want children to have a memorable experience at Dove Bank that encourages and inspires them to achieve in life and to aim to exceed their potential. We hope to foster the attitude of wanting to learn as well as needing to learn.
Our Curriculum Aims
The underpinning principles of our curriculum are committed to providing quality and excellence through an exciting, stimulating environment that stretches and develops the child as a whole.
- To provide a broad and balanced curriculum that includes our statutory obligations within the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum and the National Curriculum.
- To enhance pupils’ individual capabilities, encouraging individuals to become independent, self-motivated and self-disciplined learners and members of school and the community.
- To encourage lively, enquiring minds and an enthusiasm towards school and education.
- To build confidence, self-respect, self-esteem and a sense of responsibility in each child; to help pupils to work co-operatively with consideration for others; to encourage pride in our school and community and to establish high standards in work and behaviour.
- To ensure that our pupils become literate and numerate.
- To develop enquiry, problem solving and creative skills and IT capability in line with the aims of the National Curriculum.
- To enable each pupil to develop physical awareness, stressing the values of healthy living and an understanding of the workings of the human body.
- To develop in pupils a respect for other people’s cultures and origins, and to reject biased attitudes towards sexism, racism and disability.
- To provide opportunities for spiritual growth. To help children to consider their own beliefs and those of others.
- To develop an understanding of an ever changing world concerning work, leisure and the environment.
Our school follows the Cornerstones Curriculum which is based on the National Curriculum.
To view a copy of the Government’s National curriculum, click here: Master_final_national_curriculum_220714
The Creative Curriculum
Our ‘Creative Curriculum’, which is taught in a 2 year rolling programme, aims to foster a life-long love of learning, through adopting a practical and cross-curricular approach to learning.
At every opportunity we aim to connect learning, and give children real life experiences that they can relate their learning to. We plan using progressive skills in all subjects. These skills underpin everything we do and we believe that if we rigorously drive home knowledge and skills then our children will have the tools needed to be successful independent learners for life.
We also free up additional time in the school day to enrich our children’s learning – our teachers have real freedom to own the curriculum and be truly creative with the learning experiences they give their children. They offer additional opportunities such as French teaching, outdoor lessons and whole class instrumental lessons.